A short community trail facilitating access to Slans Graveyard with incredible panoramic views overlooking Cloughey.
Distance 0.3 miles
OS Map Discoverer Series Sheet 21 Strangford Lough
Nearest Town Cloughey
Route Shape Circular
Grid Reference J63898 55079
Route Type Parkland & Grassland
A scheduled monument dating back to the first millennium AD, at one time Slans was the main graveyard for the Cloughey and Kirkistown area and the burial place for many sailors who lost their lives in the waters around the notorious North and South Rocks off Cloughey.
The trail begins from the Ardminnan Road approximately one mile from the village of Cloughey. Begin at the signposted entrance crossing the stone stile into the field. Follow the fenced off trail through the field to reach another stone stile and the entrance into the graveyard. Here you will find an interpretation panel with information on the historic site and its fascinating history. Make your own way through the graveyard taking in the panoramic countryside views and historic graveyard. Return via the same route to Ardminnan Road.
There is no car parking available at the start of the route therefore if you are travelling by car it is suggested you park in Cloughey Village and walk approx one mile along Ardminnan Road to the route entrance.
Translink – journeyplanner.translink.co.uk
Dogs are allowed. Dogs must be kept under control at all times
There are no facilities at the walk itself, the nearest shop can be found in cloughey approximately one mile from the start of the walk
- The path may not be hard and firm in all weathers with loose stones (not bigger than 10cm) with occasional tree roots and pot holes and will be at least 80cm wide for its entire length.
- The path gradients and cross slopes will be greater than 6 degrees
- Obstacles such as steps or stiles are to be expected and surface breaks may be larger 75mm in width.
- There will be a clear head height of greater than 2.10m for the entire length of the route.
- Passing places and rest areas may not be formalised or provided.