Lagan Towpath – Shaws Bridge to Lock Keepers Cottage
A short circular walk along the edge of the River Lagan along tarmac paths. Features of interest along the route include Shaws bridge, the Lock Keepers Cottage and the newly reinstated lock gates.
Distance 1.2 miles
OS Map 15
Terrain Flat, tarmaced paths.
Nearest Town Belfast
Route Shape Circular
Grid Reference J324690
Route Type Riverside
From Shaws bridge car park follow the path that leads along the river, on the left hand side of the bridge. At the first path junction, take a right to continue following the river. Follow this path along the edge of the river. When this path ends, follow the footpath round to the right, passing the car park at the end of Newforge Lane. Continue across the wooden bridge and follow the path for 500 m until you reach the Lock Keepers Cottage. Cross the bridge to the other side of the newly installed lock gates and follow the path to the right. This path will lead you back to Shaws Bridge. Ascend the ramp immediately before Shaws Bridge and cross the bridge back to the car park.
Shaws bridge, Lock Keepers Cottage, Lock gates
From the House of Sport roundabout, take the exit towards the Outer Ring, Shaws Bridge car park is 300 m down this road on the right.
Translink – journeyplanner.translink.co.uk
Keep dogs on a lead.
Car park at Shaws Bridge.
Refreshments and toilets available half way along the route at the Lock Keepers Inn.
- The path may not be hard and firm in all weathers with loose stones (not bigger than 5cm) with occasional tree roots and pot holes and will be at least 1m wide for its entire length.
- The path will not be steeper than 6° or have a cross slope of greater than 6°.
- There will not be any obstacles such as steps or stiles and surface breaks will be between 12mm and 75mm in width.
- There will be a clear head height of greater than 2.10m for the entire length of the route.
- There will be passing places at least every 150m and rest areas at least every 1km.