This short off-road walk leads around Gortin Lakes with superb views of the Sperrins landscape. The path has recently been upgraded – the firm surface is of a good and consistent standard throughout the walk.
Distance 0.6 miles
OS Map Sheet 13
Terrain Gravel paths with some inclines
Nearest Town Gortin or Omagh
Route Shape Circular
Grid Reference H499842
Route Type Forest
From the car park, the walk around the two lakes is laid out in the formation of the figure eight and people can choose to walk in either direction.
The gravel path around the lakes undulates gently offering the tranquillity of the still, deep water on one side and the natural habitat and vegetation on the other.
The path is easily followed with a number of seating benches placed so walkers can take a rest and take in the majestic views.
The lakes and the landscape
The car park at Gortin Lakes is situated about 0.5 miles off the main A48 Omagh to Gortin Road. The site is easy to find by following the brown tourist signs from the main road.
Translink – journeyplanner.translink.co.uk
Dogs on lead permitted
Parking, picnic tables and toilets
The following facilities are available for users with limited mobility:
– Disabled toilets
- The path may not be hard and firm in all weathers with loose stones (not bigger than 10cm) with occasional tree roots and pot holes and will be at least 80cm wide for its entire length.
- The path gradients and cross slopes will be greater than 6 degrees
- Obstacles such as steps or stiles are to be expected and surface breaks may be larger 75mm in width.
- There will be a clear head height of greater than 2.10m for the entire length of the route.
- Passing places and rest areas may not be formalised or provided.