Creggandevesky Archaeological Trail
This interesting walk begins and finishes at An Creagán Visitor Centre and includes a visit to the excavated Court Tomb at Creggandevesky. The walk is entirely on road.
Distance 9 miles
OS Map Sheet 13
Terrain The entire route is on road
Nearest Town Carrickmore / Creggan
Route Shape Circular
Grid Reference H62328 78909
Route Type Urban
From An Creagan Centre, turn right to the junction with the main A505 Omagh-Cookstown Road.
The large Creggan cross is situated on your left on Esker-Na-Tor. This cross was erected in 1962 by the late Father Lagan, born in the parish of Kildress in the townland of Killucan in 1896. Although not a native of this area, many local people treasure fond memories of this priest who became integrated into the community of Creggan.
Turn left at the junction and walk along the main road for approximately 500 yards, then turn right onto the Pomeroy Road.
Along this road you will pass Creggan Chapel on the right, erected between 1938 and 1940, and later, on the left, a fine example of spade ridges. A common feature in this area, these serve as reminders of attempts to maximise production from a highly populated land during the harsh years of the Great Famine of 1845-49. The cross carried the inscription “Erected to the generosity of the people of this district.” He spent much of his life working with the Maoiri People of New Zealand.
At the staggered Sultin crossroads, take the Pomeroy Road straight ahead and continue along this route, admiring the small Loughs dotted throughout the extensive bogland.
Signposts indicate to the right the location of Creggandevesky Court Tomb, approximately 1 mile from the crossroads. This is a well-preserved court tomb, excavated between 1979 and 1982, dating from the Neolithic period (4,000 to 2,000 BC).
The excavation revealed traces of the burnt bones of at least 21 people, which were placed in the chambers after the bodies had been cremated nearby. Fragments of broken Neolithic pottery and flint tools were also found. The most personal find was that of a necklace of 112 beads.
Double back to the Sultin crossroads and turn left. This elevated road affords splendid views of Scalp Mountain to the south and the Sperrin range lying to the north. Continue to Golan crossroads and turn right.
Walking through the townland of Granagh and Creggan to the junction with the main A505, admire the unspoiled beauty of the undulating landscape. Cross the main road again to return to an Creagan Visitor Centre.
Ancient Court Tomb, visitor centre
Park at An Creagán Visitor Centre
Translink – journeyplanner.translink.co.uk
Parking, visitor services, restaurant, accommodation and toilets