Crawfordsburn Country Park, Coastal Walk
This walk ambles through a hay meadow, which is full of wild flowers in the summer months. The route then leads along sandy beaches, including Crawfordsburn Beach and Helen’s Bay.
Grey Point Fort is a restored coastal battery.
Distance 1.4 miles
OS Map Sheet 15
Terrain Gravel and tarmac paths.
Nearest Town Crawfordsburn
Route Shape Linear
Grid Reference J467822
Route Type Beach, Coastal
Leave the Visitor’s Centre at Crawfordsburn Country Park, follow the waymarked trail north through the hay meadow, and onto the coastal path. The walk then heads west, along the fine sandy beaches at Helen’s Bay, past the wartime fort at Grey Point, and finishing at Sea Park.
This walk is also suitable for people with limited mobility, please see Disabled Ramblers NI link below.
Grey Point Coastal Battery; hay meadow and sandy beaches.
Follow the A2 from Belfast to Bangor, Crawfordsburn Country Park is signposted from the Junction at Ballyrobert.
Translink – journeyplanner.translink.co.uk
Dogs are to be on a lead on the coastal walk.
Visitor Centre: permanent and seasonal exhibitions, free leaflets and nature books. Toilets for disabled; picnic tables; self service restaurant: open 10am -4.30pm through the year. Scooters for free use are available for people with limited mobility capable of riding them. Booking is advised. The following facilities are available for users with limited mobility: – Café (wheelchair accessible) – Visitors Centre – Disabled toilets – Disabled parking – Mobility vehicle available.
- The path may not be hard and firm in all weathers with loose stones (not bigger than 10cm) with occasional tree roots and pot holes and will be at least 80cm wide for its entire length.
- The path gradients and cross slopes will be greater than 6°.
- Obstacles such as steps or stiles are to be expected and surface breaks may be larger 75mm in width.
- There will be a clear head height of greater than 2.10m for the entire length of the route.
- Passing places and rest areas may not be formalised or provided.