This route explores an area of floodplain, now managed as an award wining urban nature reserve which provides a fanatstic oasis for wildlife.
Distance 1.2 miles
OS Map Sheet 15 & Belfast Street Finder
Terrain Mainly level stone paths
Nearest Town Falls Road, Belfast
Route Shape Circular
Grid Reference J315725
Route Type Parkland & Grassland
From the car park follow the path to the left of the playing fields. When you reach a footbridge take this over the Ballymurphy Stream, then take the path on your left. This leads around the perimeter of the site past some willow trees with the meadows on your right.
The path continues adjacent to some houses and near the M1 motorway. Around the site there are viewing platforms which allow you to pause and appreciate the site’s rich biodiversity and the views of the Belfast Hills. Follow the path until you reach a junction then turn right alongside the main pond; off to the right is another viewing mound and platform. Cross another footbridge and turn right out around the meadows.
The path runs alongside a drainage channel on your left and another viewing mound on your right. The path then turns right with willow trees between the path and Milltown Cemetery. At the next junction turn left which leads you to the car park via a steep hill. Disabled users should keep right and follow the gravel paths around the playing fields back to the car park.
This site has fantastic flora and fuana
Car Park at bottom of Milltown Row off Falls Road, entrance signposted.
Translink – journeyplanner.translink.co.uk
All dogs must be kept on lead
None on site. Refreshments available locally.
- The path may not be hard and firm in all weathers with loose stones (not bigger than 10cm) with occasional tree roots and pot holes and will be at least 80cm wide for its entire length.
- The path gradients and cross slopes will be greater than 6°.
- Obstacles such as steps or stiles are to be expected and surface breaks may be larger 75mm in width.
- There will be a clear head height of greater than 2.10m for the entire length of the route.
- Passing places and rest areas may not be formalised or provided.