Annalong Coastal Path
At the start of this walk take time to visit the Annalong Cornmill (open during summer months) situated at the picturesque Annalong Harbour. This shoreline walk takes in magnificient views of the Mourne Mountains.
Distance 1.5 miles
OS Map Sheet 29
Terrain Coastal path
Nearest Town Annalong Village
Route Shape Linear
Grid Reference J37581 19783
Route Type Coastal
From the car park at Corn Mill Quay, set off towards the Corn Mill and descend to the left beside the clucking millstream to the harbour built around a natural rocky cove. Follow the shore around to the left and continue past the houses and into the open countryside via the path.
Elegant views of the Mourne Mountains are to be had as the path winds its way along the rocky shore. Much of these rocks are Mourne granite, polished square cut granite blocks may often be seen on the shore, these have been washed round from the other side of the harbour where there is a granite cutting yard.
As the path reaches the bays of Arthur’s Port and Springwell Port, birds such as curlew and oystercatcher may be seen foraging on the shore alongside redshank and herring gulls. These bays were bases in former times for fishing from the nearest dwellings. Watch out for playful seals popping their heads above the water in the bay.
Yawls were launched from the beach to reap the autumn herring harvest. The route then curves round the bay at Springwell Port and stops short of Mullartown point to the north and returns to Annalong village via the same route.
Abundant sea and bird life
Translink – journeyplanner.translink.co.uk
Dogs are allowed. To be kept under control
Toilets at Marine Park and refreshments in the village.
- The path may not be hard and firm in all weathers with loose stones (not bigger than 10cm) with occasional tree roots and pot holes and will be at least 80cm wide for its entire length.
- The path gradients and cross slopes will be greater than 6 degrees
- Obstacles such as steps or stiles are to be expected and surface breaks may be larger 75mm in width.
- There will be a clear head height of greater than 2.10m for the entire length of the route.
- Passing places and rest areas may not be formalised or provided.