Virtual Memory Walk
Location: Northern Ireland
Date: Saturday 3rd October 2020
Price: Registration fee £5 with a minimum sponsorship fee
About the Event
As we find ourselves in times of social distancing and amidst the cancellation of all mass gatherings, we thought it would be amazing to bring our incredible supporters together, to virtually complete their own midnight walk on Saturday 3rd October 2020 kindly sponsored once again by our friends at Kelly’s, Warrenpoint. This year instead of our normal set route or no. of miles, you can walk in memory of your loved ones whenever and wherever you like!
For the past 12 years our Midnight Memory Walk has seen hundreds of people take to the streets of Newry under the stars to complete a 6 KM walk through Midnight in memory of their loved ones, all while supporting the Southern Area Hospice. Every year we are completely overwhelmed by the support from our local community, and last year we raised over £22,000, which enabled us at Hospice to continue providing our much-needed service. As this is a sponsored walk, every step makes a difference for the patients and families who need our care through the most difficult times. As you complete your walk, whether it be in the daytime or at night, our Hospice nurses and staff will be working too. Your support will ensure that every single member of the Hospice team continue to make sure our patients and their families can make the most of every single day!
Our Midnight walk has always been a family event and we are encouraging as many people as possible to sign up – why not get your family, friends and work colleagues together to take part, remember their loved ones and help make this our biggest most special year yet. The event is open to men, women and children of all fitness abilities. Please ensure Under 16’s are accompanied on their virtual walk by an adult.
Registration is now open. The registration fee is £5 and participants are asked to raise a minimum sponsorship of £20 (individually). Or why not get a few family members, and friends together (while following social distancing guidelines) and take advantage of our group discount for teams of 4 or more (£5 per person to register and minimum sponsorship of £15 per person). Under 14’s register for FREE and are asked to raise a minimum sponsorship of £10 each.
Once registered you will receive a walker’s information pack with everything you need to know about your virtual walk. A special addition to this year’s pack is your very own candle bag which you can write a personal memory message on and light a tealight in on the night of your walk.
We hope you will be able to join us, we may not all be able to walk together this year, but we can still make every step count. We promise to be at your side every step of the way to make your Virtual Midnight Walk a memory you can cherish forever!
What to Bring
Firstly, to ensure your own safety we recommend walking with someone else. If you do choose to complete your walk alone, please ensure that you let someone know where and when you will be walking. Make sure your mobile phone is fully charged and bring it with you so you can contact anyone or they can contact you in case of an emergency – you can also take some photos along the way to share with us on Facebook!
- Plan your route in advance and think about where you are going to walk and at what time – Is it safe? Is it well lit? Are there footpaths for you to use? We recommend if you can do your walk in the daylight you should however if you do choose to walk in the evening as is tradition, please ensure you wear reflective clothing and try and pick a route that is not too remote.
- Preparation is Key! Wear something bright/reflective, wear suitable shoes that are comfortable and weather appropriate, dress in layers of clothing in case of a change in weather, and of course WATER to stay hydrated!
- Please make use of official crossings if your route involves crossing roads – we also would recommend to avoid wearing headphones when walking so you can hear what is going on around you and you can be more aware of your surroundings.
- Don’t forget to light your candle in memory of your loved ones – you can do this before you set off and let the beautiful twinkling light guide you home to your doorstep or you can light on completion of your walk as you take a moment to remember. Whichever you decide please stay safe and read our fire safety instructions on lighting your candle bag.
Completing your Virtual Midnight Memory Walk
- Always warm up prior to undertaking a walk. If you are a stranger to exercise, we recommend that you build up the mileage and train slowly and steadily. We will post some warmup ideas in our Facebook Event page for you to try!
- Make sure you wear your ‘I’m walking in memory of bib sign’ these can easily be attached to the front or back of your clothing using safety pins – we have included your template in this pack and if needed we can also email you a copy for you to print more.
- Take pictures and videos and share your progress with your friends, family and with us on social media and on your online giving page and make sure to tag the Southern Area Hospice – we can’t wait to see you all lacing up for Hospice!
- Most importantly – enjoy yourself – our Midnight Memory walk is always a beautiful emotional evening where family and friends come together to reflect and remember our loved ones and share memories that will be treasured forever.
- Sign up via eventbrite: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/virtual-midnight-memory-walk-2020-tickets-116708475191?aff=ebdssbonlinesearch
Contact and Booking
contact Lizzie McCullough or Amy McKeown at Southern Area Hospice Services on:
028 3026 7711 or at firstname.lastname@example.org