Carnfunnock Woodland Walk
One of a whole host of great walks on offer through the picturesque surroundings of Carnfunnock Country Park.
Distance 2.5 miles
OS Map Sheet 9
Terrain Flat, hilly, slopes and steps
Nearest Town Larne, Drains Bay & Ballygally
Route Shape Linear
Grid Reference D38291 06524
Route Type Hill, Parkland & Grassland, Woodland
This is the longest and most energetic walk at Carnfunnock and takes you to most of the park’s features, the woodland and wetland.
Wildlife garden, Maze, Activity Centre
On Antrim Coast Road (A2), 3.5 miles north of Larne. Walk from the main car park following sign posts directly to the Carnfunnock Visitor Centre.
Larne parkrun starts and ends at Drains Bay car park.
Translink – journeyplanner.translink.co.uk
Dogs are allowed. Dogs are allowed. However, park operates dog zones. Dogs are not permitted in the maze, walled garden, activity centre, family fun zone, golf course or inside buildings. Dogs must be under control at all times. Use bins provided for waste.
The Cafe and Visitor Centre, with tourist information and novelty goods for sale, are open daily from mid March-October. The Cafe is open at weekends throughout the year. (Tel: 07933 884350 for confirmation of cafe opening hours)
There is a charge to use the car park in the summer season, although registered blue badge holders can park for free on production of their badge. Parking is also available in Carnfunnock Bay and Drains Bay. Toilets are open all year (excluding Christmas Day).
The following facilities are available for users with limited mobility:
– Café (wheelchair accessible)
– Disabled parking
– Disabled toilets
– Visitors Centre
– Lighting (entire route)
- The path may not be hard and firm in all weathers with loose stones (not bigger than 10cm) with occasional tree roots and pot holes and will be at least 80cm wide for its entire length.
- The path gradients and cross slopes will be greater than 6 degrees
- Obstacles such as steps or stiles are to be expected and surface breaks may be larger 75mm in width.
- There will be a clear head height of greater than 2.10m for the entire length of the route.
- Passing places and rest areas may not be formalised or provided.