Broughshane is known as the “Garden Village of Ulster” thanks to its floral displays. Over 75,000 flowers are planted annually winning the village many national and international awards. Suitable for wheel chair users.
Distance 1.5 miles
OS Map Sheet 9
Terrain Level surface
Nearest Town Broughshane
Route Shape Circular
Grid Reference D15406 06540
Route Type Riverside
Starting at Houston’s Mill car park follow the path that leads to Broughshane Main Street. Take care crossing the road to the entry archway of the Buttermilk Bridge Walk. Follow the path in an anti-clockwise direction staying close to the river until you reach the play park and car park.Turn left and go down Knockan Road to Main Street, turn left and proceed back to the Houston’s Mill site.
The path is well maintained and has no steep inclines or obstacles, making it wheelchair user friendly, and although there are a few drains and uneven patches in places on the Main Street, it is generally not too bad.
Dipper, Malard & Moorhen
The car park at Houston’s Mill is located just off the Main Street in Broughshane.
Translink – journeyplanner.translink.co.uk
Public toilets in village. The Thatch Inn and numerous cafes (many have steps).
The following facilities are available for users with limited mobility:
– Café (wheelchair accessible) – Numerous cafes in the village
– Shop (wheelchair accessible) – In the village
– Disabled toilets
– Disabled parking
- The path may not be hard and firm in all weathers with loose stones (not bigger than 5cm) with occasional tree roots and pot holes and will be at least 1m wide for its entire length.
- The path will not be steeper than 6 degrees or have a cross slope of greater than 6 degrees.
- There will not be any obstacles such as steps or stiles and surface breaks will be between 12mm and 75mm in width.
- There will be a clear head height of greater than 2.10m for the entire length of the route.
- There will be passing places at least every 150m and rest areas at least every 1km.