Rostrevor – Cloughmore Stone
The Cloughmore car park is 230m above sea level and provides views of the surrounding forest. There are three waymarked trails, which vary in length from 1.25 miles to 4.5 miles, and take the visitor to various areas within the forest to enjoy the many magnificent views and beauty of the woodlands.
The area has been declared a National Nature Reserve and more recently an Area of Special Scientific Interest.
Distance 0.4 (One Way) miles
OS Map Sheet 29
Terrain Moderate, steep in places
Nearest Town Rostrevor
Route Shape Linear
Grid Reference J19556 17390
Route Type Forest, Woodland
From the car park follow the signs up a steep hill to the Cloughmore Stone.
There are great views from here over Carlingford Lough.
From here retrace your steps back to the car park.
These walks are situated in a working forest environment and may be subject to diversion and closure from time to time.
Up to date information is available on the Forest Service web site.
Views of Mourne Mountains, Cloughmore Stone
From Rostrevor follow the signs to Rostrevor Forest & Kilbroney.
Once inside the forest, follow the tarmac road uphill to the second car park (located 230 above sea level). This is accessed via a one-way system).
The first car park passed is at Kilbroney and has toilets and cafe.
Translink – journeyplanner.translink.co.uk
Car parking and picnic facilities, refreshments and toilets are availble at Kilbroney park.
The following facilities are available for users with limited mobility:
– Café (wheelchair accessible) – (in Rostrevor)
– Shop (wheelchair accessible)
– Disabled toilets
– Disabled parking
- The path may not be hard and firm in all weathers with loose stones (not bigger than 10cm) with occasional tree roots and pot holes and will be at least 80cm wide for its entire length.
- The path gradients and cross slopes will be greater than 6 degrees
- Obstacles such as steps or stiles are to be expected and surface breaks may be larger 75mm in width.
- There will be a clear head height of greater than 2.10m for the entire length of the route.
- Passing places and rest areas may not be formalised or provided.