Castlewellan Forest Park – Lakeside Walk
This walk circumnavigates Castlewellan Lake providing good views of Slievenaslat and Castlewellan Castle.
The Green / Easy mountain bike trail also follows this trail, which is on well maintained wide forest paths and relatively flat.
Distance 2.4 miles
OS Map Sheet 29
Nearest Town Castlewellan
Route Shape Circular
Grid Reference J33461 36501
Route Type Forest, Lakeland, Woodland
Part of the new Castlewellan Walking Trails launched in November 2014, this trail is signposted from the Lakeside car park – follow the green waymarkers. This is also the Green / Easy mountain bike trail.
This relatively flat trail leads around Castlewellan Lake, a natural lake extended by the Annesley family early in the 19th centuary. With excellent views across the lake and the surrounding woodland the trail passes close to the Ice House and the iconic Castle built in 1856.
This is an ‘Easy’ walk suitable for most people in good health including those with limited mobility and some buggies. Surfaces are even and consistent throughout. The gradient is relatively flat.
This walk is situated in a working forest environment and may be subject to diversion and closure from time to time.
Up to date information is available on the Forest Service web site
Ice House, views of Castlewellan Castle
From Castlewellan the forest is signposted from Main Street.
Translink – journeyplanner.translink.co.uk
Car park (fee charged), café, toilets (disabled access), picnic areas, The Peace Maze, Activity Centre, lecture room/ classroom, camping & caravaning, orienteering route, mountain bike trails.
The following facilities are available for users with limited mobility:
– Café (wheelchair accessible)
– Disabled toilets
– Disabled parking
- The path may not be hard and firm in all weathers with loose stones (not bigger than 5cm) with occasional tree roots and pot holes and will be at least 1m wide for its entire length.
- The path will not be steeper than 6 degrees or have a cross slope of greater than 6 degrees.
- There will not be any obstacles such as steps or stiles and surface breaks will be between 12mm and 75mm in width.
- There will be a clear head height of greater than 2.10m for the entire length of the route.
- There will be passing places at least every 150m and rest areas at least every 1km.